National Operations Manager
Reporting to the Director of Operations, the National Operations Manager will collaborate with and assist the internal state-based operations staff with various aspects of their program operations. The efforts of the National Operations Manager will ensure the most current data is available to internal stakeholders and guidance to internal and external stakeholders is consistent with each operational plan.
PaintCare, a non-profit 501(c)(3) organization, was established in 2009 by the American Coatings Association (ACA) to implement state-mandated paint stewardship programs on behalf of paint manufacturers in each state that adopts a paint stewardship law. PaintCare programs are funded by a fee on new paint sales. Funding is used to set up drop-off sites where the public can take leftover paint for recycling, pay for the recycling of this paint, conduct public education, and provide program administration. PaintCare currently runs programs in nine states and the District of Columbia and is planning new programs for Washington and New York. Please visit www.paintcare.org for more information.
- Collaborate with internal state-based operations staff (State Program Managers and Regional Coordinators) to review and execute waste profiles, review bids and recommend vendors for paint-only drop-off events, and identify the best solutions for infrastructure requests.
- Coordinate with State Program Managers, Regional Coordinators, vendors, and suppliers to facilitate the selection and approval of operational supplies on an as-needed basis. Operational supplies include, but are not limited to, single-use and reusable paint collection bins, and paint collection event materials (signs, cones, storage bins, etc.).
- Assist with field work as needed, including recruiting, training, and visiting paint drop-off sites; identifying locations for and staffing weekend paint collection events; and managing weekend paint collection events.
- Assist the Director of Operations in developing operational guidance documents for internal state-based operations staff (State Program Managers and Regional Coordinators) and for haulers.
- Manage data files, (collection, processing, and spend), from vendors providing paint transportation and recycling services for the program, including collecting reports from vendors, working with vendors to ensure data sets are complete and compliant with contract requirements, organizing the storage of files electronically, and fulfill internal and external data requests.
- Collaborate with the Director of Operations to analyze operational data to identify and determine the root causes of trends.
- Assist with developing the operational components of forecasts and budgets for each of the PaintCare programs.
- Assist with developing the operational sections of all RFPs and grants and reviewing all bids.
- Manage grants issued by PaintCare to ensure compliance with fiscal and operational requirements and timelines.
- Assist the Director of Operations with the execution of the audit program, including conducting audits of haulers and processing facilities.
- Have primary responsibility for the collection, transportation and processing sections, including determining and providing the relevant metrics, in each annual report.
Preferred Skills and Qualifications
- Knowledge of hazardous waste management and public sector waste and recycling initiatives.
- Knowledge and experience with application of state and federal hazardous waste laws and regulations, including RCRA, DOT, household hazardous waste, and VSQG rules.
- Familiarity with paint products.
- Experience with and/or knowledge of product stewardship programs, laws, and organizations.
- Experience using database and data presentation and analysis programs (PaintCare currently uses FileMaker, Salesforce and Tableau).
- Proficiency with computers and typical office software.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Strong analytical skills and ability to work with large data sets.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Self-starter and able to work independently.
- Interest in working collaboratively with broad range of stakeholder including colleagues, paint haulers and recyclers, state and local governments representatives, paint retailers, and other program partners.
- Willingness to travel.
- Ability to work independently from home.
- Valid driver’s license.
- Bachelor of Science, Environmental Science, or Environmental Policy
- Five to ten years of relevant work experience. Additional years of work experience may be considered in lieu of a bachelor’s degree.
Location and Travel
This position is located in Washington DC, at the headquarters of the American Coatings Association. Remote employees may also apply and will be considered. Remote employees will work from home. This position requires some overnight travel, up to one week per month, to observe the program operations, survey and or manage Saturday drop-off events, attend conferences, and to meet with state-dedicated program staff or other program stakeholders. PaintCare has an employee-focused travel policy to allow for flexibility on timing, location, and duration of travel due to COVID-19.
Employment, Salary and Benefits
This is a full time, regular, exempt position. Salary depends on experience. PaintCare, through the ACA, provides generous benefits [401(k), vacation days, medical, dental, and life insurance] and reimbursement for travel expenses.
Diversity & Inclusion
PaintCare is committed to fostering, cultivating and preserving a culture of diversity, equity and inclusion. We embrace and encourage our employees’ differences in age, color, disability, ethnicity, family or marital status, gender identity or expression, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status, and other characteristics that make our employees unique.
To apply for this position please visit https://american-coatings-association.breezy.hr/ . Please submit a single pdf document containing both your resume and a sample that best exemplifies your writing ability (500 words minimum). Please also submit cover letter stating your motivations for applying. You will also be asked to submit your salary requirements. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.